On July 21, 2015, TPP Apparel Coalition, which includes the United States Fashion Industry Association (USFIA), sent a letter to U.S. Trade Representative Ambassador Michael Froman with the apparel industry’s priorities in advance of the talks in Maui next week. The letter asks for the inclusion of elements in CAFTA:
- Immediate duty-free treatment for at least 75 percent of current trade based on the way that garments are currently made.
- Minimum 50 percent duty cut for sensitive products.
- Single transformation rules for important categories.
- Flexibility to revisit the short supply list in the future to ensure market access as conditions evolve.
- Enforcement measures that recognize the importance of Trusted Trader programs and sophisticated targeting techniques instead of relying on piles of paperwork and inefficient systems.
The letter is available here.