On May 17, 2013, USA-ITA joined the North American Bangladesh Worker Safety Working Group in sending a letter to Sheikh Hasina Wazed, the Prime Minister of Bangladesh, asking for assurance that the Bangladeshi government will be involved in an “ongoing and sustained enforcement effort” and a “transparent process of engagement between the Bangladesh government and our associations through the Safer Factories Initiative, including a list of inspected and closed factories and the results of the inspections.” The letter notes that positive change can only occur by the Bangladeshi government working together with industry.
Along with the letter, the associations included an attachment with key elements that the Bangladeshi government should commit to provide to apparel brands and retailers, including:
- Quick passage of updated labor legislation.
- Public engagement and progress with the International Labor Organization.
- Progress on hiring of official building inspectors.
- Public release of the list of factories inspected by the Government of Bangladesh.
- Public release of the results of those inspections, with monthly updates.
- Public release of the official list of closed factories, along with the reasons for those closures.
- Public release of information about actions required by the Government of Bangladesh before factories can reopen.